Monday, February 16, 2015

Adjusting

I am doing what I thought and told myself I would never do. I am moving back to Houston. I am moving back in with my parents. I am 26 years old and I am moving back in with my parents. Ugh, I thought those words would never come out of my mouth.  I don’t think any 26 year old wants to say those words. I am now that girl when people ask where you live you say your parents are your roommates! I had set myself up in life with jobs, affordable apartments so I wouldn’t have to move back in with my parents. 

But, yes I realize my reason for moving back in with my parents are drastically different than your average 26 year old who is struggling to find a job or trying to save money or can’t afford an apartment. I have to move in with my parents in order to move forward with this transplant that is going to occur sometime in the distant/near future. I have to stay with my parents because I have to be within a 25 mile radius of MD Anderson. I have to stay with my parents because I have to have a caregiver with my 24 hours a day for 100 days after I am out of the hospital. I have to move in with my parents because they are the ones that will be doing that 24 hour around the clock monitoring of me. 

As of this moment though things do not feel different in me. I am still me. I am me, with a lot of appointments to run back and forth to. I am me,  that likes to go to yoga a couple of times a week.  I am me, that likes to watch some really trashy tween TV. I am me, that enjoys trying to knit. I am me, that can never figure out how to keep my room neat.  I am me, that loves to do puzzles! I am me, but I have been transplanted away from what I am use to, the cold, teaching, my friends and put back into my house where I lived during high school. This is taking major adjustments for all of us involved. I am no longer just in my apartment. I am no longer able to wake up and walk out of my front door and walk 2 minutes to the corner store, or to get a bagel. I cannot walk out and hop on the subway and be in center city shopping. It is now a massive scheduling matrix for when I can just hop in the car and go wherever I want to go. I now have to figure out with my parents when one of us can be “stuck” at home so I can go grab lunch with a friend or just use the car for something. 


lets just say that this whole process with have major adjustments. RIght now it is just figuring out how to be back here in this place away from what I am use to. In the future the adjustments are going to be harder and much more different, but we will get to those as they come.

10 comments:

  1. Sending you huge hugs, Elle. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Rooting for you, sister-friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you, Elle. Keep doing the things you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle, thankfully your family is within 25 miles of MDA. I met so many people from foreign countries or states far away who knew NO One in Houston. It was heart rending to see their loneliness in preparation for being in isolation for the length of time necessary.
    My son was my daughter's bone marrow donor. Okay, growing up they could hardly go through a room without a squabble. Imagine them in isolation in an apartment for 100 days without being able to leave the house. AFTER it was all over, they said it was God's warped sense of humor that that occurred.........they both always tried to see the humor! Thinking of you.......always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am very thankful we live within the 25 mile criteria. I couldn't imagine trying to figure out housing costs on top of all of this!
      I am sure that was a really fun/crazy 100 days!! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  4. I love reading your blog Elle, and I wish you nothing but the best. Sometimes life is really hard but I think it'll be fun moving back in with your parents. At least they're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica!! It has been fun so far.

      Delete

leave any comments or questions <3

Popular Posts