Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Ranting and poaching

Today was my weekly appointment/check in and all is good on my front but the best thing [hint sarcasm] happened while walking into my appointment. Let me set the scene. Your nurse [I'm not quite sure what they are paid to do - seems like they just show you the room and thats it - hopefully they have a lot of "behind" the scenes work]  calls your name out in the waiting room and then leads you back to your room. During this 45 second walk they try and make small talk and its usually awkward and strange because you don't spend much time with this person. So we are walking back, my mom is a good distance behind me, and my nurse asks me......"How was your summer". It takes me off guard and I answer fine and then, wait no...what...I had my transplant you crazy lady. So it takes awhile for me to realize what she really asked and it doesn't really hit me until she has dropped us off in the room and my mom and I are just sitting there. Did she really ask me how my summer was? She is my nurse right? She has access to my medical files. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME. like is this real life? what are smoking lady - you work in the stem cell transplant department, I don't have any hair, what are you thinking? How was your summer. I was just flabbergasted. I still can't really grasp the fact that this happened.  It didn't really upset me but I think it is the stupidest thing anybody has asked me so far in this process and lets just say thats pretty impressive.

Anyways, on to a much more important issue. Eggs.

Since my love affair with runny eggs is allowed again I have been eating more than my fair share. Fried eggs, over easy are all good but poached eggs are where its at. And since I have been making them constantly (read everyday) I have perfected the poached egg, thanks to a little toil from the kitchn. So I wanted to share:

Step 1: boil water
Step 2: get a pin and poke a tiny hole in the eggs you are going to poach
Step 3: drop the egg (Shell and all) in the boiling water for 10 seconds - I've gone up to 15seconds and it works still
Step 4: take egg out and let cool so you can touch - about 4 secs
Step 5: crack egg[s] into boiling/simmering water
step 6: cook for 2 minutes
step 7 : enjoy a perfect poached egg!!!

NO stirring, no vinegar, no nonsense and it equals PERFECTION each and every time. The poking the hole and boiling the egg seemed like a pointless step to me at first but it helps give some form to the white before you crack it and let me tell you I don't really care what it does because it WORKS! you don't have to worry about creating vortex and keeping it going and you can do multiple eggs at once - so far I have done up to 3 the tricky part is remembering which one went in first but not really a make it or break it situation.

sidenote: my calves are killing me today - like so sore I feel like I walk funny - the reason is I ran for 10 minutes. well ran is a strong word I jogged on the treadmill for 10 minutes and tomorrow I will attempt it again in Physical Therapy. They kill me over there. Ok I'm going to go roll out my calves and stretch so I can try and walk normally.

3 comments:

  1. Let me know when you want some really really really good eggs. Two of my four chickens are laying. Two are brooding. If you need to know what that is ask any male over 15. I will ship you eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I have to use grocery store eggs that have been pasteurized if I want to eat runny eggs for now! But one day!!!!

      Delete
  2. Let me know when you want some really really really good eggs. Two of my four chickens are laying. Two are brooding. If you need to know what that is ask any male over 15. I will ship you eggs.

    ReplyDelete

leave any comments or questions <3

Popular Posts